Enabling the Unknown Member on a Dimension in SSAS.

Do you ever get this error:

  • Warning 5 Errors in the OLAP storage engine: The attribute key cannot be found when processing: Table: ”, Column: ”, Value: ’12:00:00 AM’. The attribute is ‘Date’.

It turns out that this error occurs because:

  • Null values in the fact table relationship are converted to ’12:00 A.M.’

So I tried enabling the Unknown Member attribute of the Date table.  (It’s a standard Date table generated by the SSAS wizard for such things.)

No luck.  Still getting the error when the date in the Fact table is null.

It turns out that enabling the Unknown Member is a multi-step process.   (Much thanks to wildh for their post here.)

To enable the Unknown Member on a Dimension follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Properties Page of the Date Dimension you are using, and select UnknownMember visible AND set the UnknownMemberName to something, such as ‘Unknown’:
    Enable the Unknown Member in the Dimension
    Enable the Unknown Member in the Dimension
  2. Now, go to the Cube Definition and click on the Dimension Usage tab:

    Dimension Usage Tab with Date dimension Usage highlighted.
    Dimension Usage Tab with Date dimension Usage highlighted.
  3. Next, click on the button next to the Date dimension usage, and then click the advanced button in the bottom right:

    Select the Advanced button
    Select the Advanced button
  4. Finally, change the relationship Null Processing drop down to Unknown Member:

    Select the UnkownMember option in the Null Processing dropdown
    Select the UnkownMember option in the Null Processing dropdown
  5. Click OK. To get back to the Dimension Usage tab, and change the Null Processing dropdown for any other Date relationship where the date in the Fact table could be null.

Removing Windows.old folder in Windows 2012 R2

It turns out that all the tips for Windows 7 and 8 rely on assumptions that are not valid in Windows Server 2012.

See here for some good Win 8 tips:

Removing Windows.old from Windows 8

For Windows Server 2012, I eventually figured out this kludge to get rid of the 16GB Windows.old folder:

  1. Take a backup of the OS Drive on your Server (Usually C:).
  2. As an Administrator on the local machine, or as a Domain Administrator, right-click on the Windows.old folder and choose Properties.
  3. Choose the Security tab.
  4. Choose the Advanced… button
  5. Beside Owner at the top of the dialog, click Change.
  6. Enter your own User Id.  Check Names.  Ok.
  7. Now check the box that appeared for Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
  8. Click Apply.
  9. When it’s done, Cancel out of the Advanced Security Settings and Windows.old Properties dialogs.
  10. Then, reopen the Properties and select Security and select the Advanced… button.
  11. Now hit the Change Permissions button.
  12. Now click the Add button.
  13. At the top, click Select a principal and put your own User Id in.  Check Names.  Ok.
  14. Under Basic Permissions, click Full Control.  Click Ok.
  15. Back on the Advanced Security Settings dialog, in the lower left check the Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permission entries from this object.
  16. Click Apply.  Click Yes when it asks you to confirm.
  17. Click Ok when it’s done.  Close the Properties dialog.
  18. Now, close any other windows you happen to have opened in your frustrated attempts to get rid of Windows.old (I had many).
  19. In Explorer, right-click the Windows.old folder.  Hold down Shift and select Delete.  (Shift will skip the Recycle Bin and just delete the folder and it’s contents).  Some time later, the Windows.old folder “should” be gone.  I did this on two servers and on one it disappeared, on the other two files were in use somehow.  Even after a reboot, those two files are still in use.  Weird.  They only take up 8K, so I’m going to ignore them.  One day, I might go after them again, but I doubt it.
  20. It’s probably a good idea to force a reboot after deleting the Windows.old folder to make sure you didn’t just hose your server.  If you did, then you have a backup to restore from, right?

New BI SharePoint Server Showed Up

I love that no one told me the new BI Server for SharePoint was up.  Grrr…..

And, lo and behold, despite the requisition stating clearly that it needed Windows 2012 on it, I still got Windows 2008.  Aahhh!

I fixed that with an in-place upgrade to Windows 2012 R2.   Hopefully, that won’t bugger it up too badly.

Now I get to install SharePoint and all the BI services.  Fun, fun, fun.

But wait…  First I have to install Windows 2012 Update.  Which turns out to be a handful of KB files.  Before you can install the Update, you have to install KB2919442.  Then you can install the Update.  After several reboots, the update is finally installed.

Next I ran SharePoint setup, just to see what would happen.   This happened:

SharePoint Pre-requisites

So I guess I know what I’ll be doing next.